What Are The Food Safety Pillars?
The food safety pillars is a system designed to actively manage food safety risk and therefore reduce the chance of causing food poisoning. These are the basic principles taken from understanding all the factors that allow bacteria to grow.
- The first pillar is cleaning and sanitising.
- Physical cleaning and sanitising to remove germs and bacteria.
- The second pillar is personal hygiene,
- Regular hand washing as well as maintaining personal cleanliness and that of appropriate uniforms.
- The third pillar is food storage
- Storing raw and ready-to-eat foods separately from each other.
- The fourth pillar is temperature control.
- Keeping hot foods hot and cold foods cold.
- The fifth pillar is food handling
- Includes the principles of cooling, reheating and defrosting practices.