About Hygiene Food Safety
Hygiene Food Safety is a company dedicated to creating awareness, understanding and implementation of the food safety pillars in order to build a solid foundation for a effective, efficient and sustainable food safety system.
The Food Safety Pillars
Over the years we have become aware that many people in the kitchen do not know or understand why hygiene and food safety is important.
The food safety pillars are the basic requirements in terms of these, and it is our mission to allow others to become ambassadors in the food safety pillars.
We have created several informational resources that allow us to reach our vision and mission:
We have two online training courses available that will allow you to become food safety ambassadors.
How Does Bacteria Cause Food Poisoning?
Bacterial contamination is one of the major causes of food poisoning in the home and commercial kitchens. We need to understand what bacteria is, how bacteria grows and how bacteria affects our food, so that we can provide a safe environment where food can be enjoyed.
In this course you will learn :
- How we define bacteria.
- How bacteria affects our food.
- What bacteria needs to survive.
- What the most common food poisoning bacteria are.
- How food gets contaminated.
- How to prevent food poisoning from happening.
- What the legal issues are around food poisoning.
- What the food safety pillars are.
How To Prevent Food Poisoning Using The Food Safety Pillars
This course will introduce you to the principles of Hygiene & Food Safety. You will learn how to develop the fundamental aspects of a food safety system by ensuring that Awareness, Understanding and Implementation take place in the correct order so that a solid foundation for safe food can be built.
In this course you will learn:
- How to clean and sanitise correctly
- The importance of hand washing and personal hygiene
- How to store foods in a fridge safety as well as the correct way to keep dry foods.
- The importance of temperature control in food safety
- How to handle food in your kitchen by avoiding cross-contamination, defrosting, cooling and reheating of foods.
- If food safety is not being monitored, there can be no management. Finally this course will help you monitor important food safety areas so that you can manage your food safety with peace of mind.
The Food Safety Pillars : An Introduction to Hygiene & Food Safety (Kindle Edition)
The content of this book was put together over the 10 years of working as a hygiene and food safety consultant for the hospitality and retail industry.
Over the years I have found that kitchens would implement complicated strategies for managing food safety such as Hazard Analysis of Critical Control Points (HACCP), without ensuring that the basics were taking care of first.
This meant that the kitchens became so focused on record-keeping and documentation, that fail-safes implemented would consistently fail when measured against a basic hygiene system.
These resulted in regular food poisoning complaints, which could not be resolved until the consultation process lead to the realization that staff, including chefs had not been trained on a basic food safety and hygiene, and had gone unnoticed due to the focus on higher level documentation processes being the main area of effort.
Thus, the need to re-train staff on the basic level, so that the foundation for higher level systems could be solidified and rebuilt from the ground up.
The intention of this book, is to help others build a solid foundation of basic hygiene and food safety, so that the higher-level systems do not fail them in the future.
Hygiene Food Safety Pillars Blog
We have created a free resource on our blog page covering content on understanding bacteria through to details on the food safety pillars. Check it out here!
We have created ‘how to’ training videos on cleaning & sanitising in the kitchen. Check it out here!